19 August 2010

Questions on Canada, July 28

As a Rotary Scholar there is a requirement to give 10-15 talks/presentations during your period of study.



Thanks to my host councillor, John Ng, who is like me personal booking agent, he was able to get me in tos speak at the Rotary Club of Changi. I spoke for 15 minutes about my scholarship, intent of study, background of education/work and life in Canada and the had 5-10 minutes of Q & A.

Here were some of the questions that prominent Rotarians (professionals and community leaders) ask me:

Q: "What is the average price of land per foot?" (As land here is very expensive) Of course being raised on farm, my comparison was provided in cost per acre..LOL.
Q: "What is your country up to?...we don't hear about Canada in the news."
Q: "What is the climate like between English French Canadians?"
Q: "What is Canada's relationship like with the United States in terms of trading?"
Q: "What is the current state and strength of Canada's banking system?"

I write these questions because I find them very telling. Of course I provided the best, diplomatic answers I could think of for each one, but at the same time found myself questioning how could Canada improve its communication to the rest of the world about what we ARE up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment