19 August 2010

Registering at NUS, July 21

This morning I registered for my program after my lengthy medical examination, almost a full physical. In the afternoon my Rotary host, John Ng took me to Chinatown for a few hours to walk around China town before meeting up with the other Ambassadorial Scholars and their hosts for a nice, authentic, Chinese dinner. I am getting better at using chopsticks but was pleasantly surprised that the restaurant offered a fork and spoon as well!

Interesting Tid-bits learned through conversation:

Public Service Workers: They are paid well here in Singapore which is one theory as to why there is so little corruption here. Basically it is not worth it for these professionals to accept bribes, for example, as the fines and punishment are much too high and risky to chance loosing everything.

Longevity, Prosperity, Wealth: These are 3 sought after virtues in the Chinese culture.

Durian: This is a specialty fruit here in Singapore, grown in Malaysia and in season right now. It is hand picked in the middle of the night, as they spoil in the day time sun, after falling to the ground, and then drove 4-5 hours in trucks to the island to arrive at the start of each morning to all the major markets. Interestingly, Durians have such a potent smell, that they are band from all public transportation, malls and most community spaces.

Chinese Sign: My host bought me a keychain reminding me of my chinese year sign. Born in 1983 I am of the year of the Pig. The store owner explained that I should marry a Tiger and will be very good friends with anyone born in the year of the sheep or rabbit. Any of you out there? Do you know what you are??

Business Cards: People are crazy about business cards here! Everyone I meet has a ton on them. The thing to remember is to hand yours over with both hands and receive others with both hands showing a sign of respect I believe. You are to look at all the information on it right away (actually read it) and then store it properly, aka. not put it in your back pocket!

Population: Singapore is home to approximately 4 million people, one third of which are foreign workers and expatriats.

No comments:

Post a Comment